Obergurgl-Hochgurgl is a partner of SNOWHOW, an initiative dedicated to "avalanche science as a general education in the Alpine habitat". The respective SNOWHOW Freeride App offers freeriders a variety of very useful features to plan the freeride day according to the prevailing conditions in Obergurgl-Hochgurgl:
- Offline map material incl. special, color-coded slope map that indicates also inclined terrain
- Avalanche report of Tirol's avalanche warning service (only for North & East Tirol)
- Weather & snow report (only for North & East Tirol)
- Compass / "set north" function
- Track recording of freeride tours which can be shared with other users
If you don't have a smartphone, you can use the SNOWHOW Freeride Map online on your PC or tablet. Like the app, the freeride map offers a slope code system, displays danger or crash points and provides information on important infrastructures (e.g. avalanche transceiver check points or WiFi spots).
The SNOWHOW Freeride App or Map are no substitute for other important orientation tools, a profound decision-making process and necessary safety equipment. The information on the map and the indicated tours are not to be understood as route suggestions on off-piste terrain.